CLEAN PRODUCTS SWITCHOVER SERIES- by Marda
I have tried several "clean" shampoos and conditioners over the years and have not been happy until I discovered the brand "Native". The shampoo and conditioner comes in three scents. I am using the Almond and Shea butter for strengthening. Native also has Coconut & Vanilla for moisturizing and Cucumber & Mint for volumizing. I have thick, wavy hair and the Almond & Shea is fantastic. I will try the Coconut & Vanilla when I run out. If you have thin or oily hair the manufacturer says to try the Cucumber & Mint. I used to wash my hair a lot more and it takes some time (and dealing with oily hair) until your hair adjusts to not washing it so often. It is amazingly freeing and I love that I only wash it a few times a week (even with teaching hot yoga). I will share some ideas on this process in another blog along with products to help you through this transition.
My evaluation for natural shampoo is based on the following criteria:
1. Ingredients - I use the app "think dirty" to scan bar codes and look for products to try that are as clean as possible. I chose products that are 0-3 and in the green zone. Check out this app, it is very helpful as a starting point when making the switch. A lot of "clean" ingredients do not include a scent. I love this and I just add a high quality essential oil to the product. The company states that it tries to use as few ingredients as possible.
*The Native brand scores a green 3 ✅ from "Think Dirty App" - Paraben-free, sulfate free, dye-free, and silicone-free.
2. Price /Easy to find- Clean products are going to be more expensive but that should not be outrageous. I only was my hair a few times a week but I have long hair and I tend to use a lot of product. The price of this product is $9.99. This product and collection is exclusive to target and you can either order it through the Target app for delivery or in the store. (both the shampoo and conditioners are $9.99 each)
3. Lather- Exceptional ! A ++++++✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔✔
Most natural/ clean shampoos I have used failed in the lather up component and it is a must for my shampoo.
The conditioner feels silky and soft.
4. Cleans hair effectively and feels good- My hair feels clean and smells great after this shampoo and conditioner.
The conditioner is lovely and I leave this on a few minutes before rinsing with cooler water.
5. Anything else- I love the bottles and the product is easy to dispense with a pump. You do not have to lift the bottle rather just easily pump the quantity you want into your hand. I am not fumbling around dropping this product in the shower. Also, I am able to use all the product without wasting any.
Check out the shampoos on this page. Products also available at most Target stores.